Wednesday 19 September 2012

20 Questions GaryB

Here is my stab at the Twenty questions game. Enjoy.


Carthage v Rome Round 2 Ding! Ding!
1. Favourite Wargaming period and why?
I have recently gotten more involved with World War 2 war gaming through games with TimS and GaryG though previously I would have immediately said Ancients and particularly the Punic Wars. I have an underused Carthaginian army for Fields Of Glory which I must dust off and get back into action.

World War I recruiting poster
2. Next period, money no object?
The Pursuit Of Glory Boardgame has caught my eye recently and I think I will be giving it a go. World War 1 in the Middle East is a period I know very little about and playing a high quality boardgame in his period is an excellent way to learn the historical context.

3. Favourite 5 films?
Bladerunner, Saving Private Ryan, Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Aliens, and Raiders of the Lost Ark

4. Favourite 5 TV series?
24, Battlestar Galactica (2004), The Wire, Band of Brothers, Blake's Seven

Tell me of your Homeworld Usul
5. Favourite book and author?
Frank Herbert's Dune. I have read many many books I love but nothing compares to this classic scifi masterpiece. My tattered original paperback copy of this book is failing apart I have read it so often.

6. Greatest General? Can’t count yourself!!
Hannibal of course. His ability to do the unexpected and turn his opponents strengths against them makes him a great general. He was so formidable on the battlefield that the Roman Empire found the only way to defeat him was to avoid fighting him.

7. Favourite Wargames rules?
Osprey 's Field of Glory is my favourite though Some of the GMT Games we have been playing lately are candidates to take this title.

Stand Up For The Ulstermen!
8. Favourite Sport and team?
Rugby Union. Ulster. I was a season ticket holder at Ravenhill for 10 years and rarely miss a game though mostly due to parental commitments more and more I have to watch on television. RIP Nevin.

9. If you had a only use once time machine, when and where would you go?
I could try to be smart and say ahead 'til the time when they have invented the multi-use time machine but I would love to see the colonisation of the solar system and would have to jump forward a couple of hundred years. Perhaps visit the cloud city cities of Venus or the Martian habitat domes. I know I'm a dreamer.

10. Last meal on Death Row?
Beef Wellington. Odd since I am verging towards vegetarianism but I love this delicous blend of pastry, mushroom and rare beef fillet. Yum!

11. Fantasy relationship and why?
The gorgeous Jennifer Connolly. Somewhat of a secret obsession of mine since I saw Labyrinth as a kid. She has been under-rated as an actress (I am biased) but has made some excellent movies including A Beautiful Mind and Blood Diamond.

12. If your life were a movie, who would play you?
Tom Cruise. He is my double after all.

Give me back my face! 
13. Favourite Comic Superhero?
Rorschach. I mean what's not to like :S

14. Favourite Military quote?
"All right, they are on our left, they're are on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us ... they can't get away this time" Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

15. Historical destination to visit?
Normandy. The landings on D-Day are iconic of the whole conflict of the Second World war and I would love to visit war cemetries there and pay my respects to the heroes who gave their lives for the freedom we have today.

16. Biggest Wargaming regret?
Not getting involved earlier. I was a roleplayer and a boardgamer for a long time before I really became interested in wargaming. I find the challenge of competitive play very exciting and I am, in reflection,  a much better wargamer than I am roleplayer.

17. Favourite Fantasy job?
Computer Games Designer. Ideally back in the day when it was possible for you to develop a game in your bedroom on a ZX Spectrum without a budget of millions and a massive team of programmers, graphic designers, lawyers etc...

Best Lead Singer of All Time?
18. Favourite Song Top 5?
I can't possibly pin down my 5 favourite music tracks but certainly the following tracks are among my favourites

Black - Pearl Jam, Private Investigations - Dire Straits, Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runner's, Experiment IV - Kate Bush, Fields Of Gold - Sting

Essen 2013 .. For Sure!
19. Favourite Wargaming Moment?
Don't really know. I tend to focus on the next game and not linger on past games. I do remember fondly a LAN party game of Command and Conquer when my team filled the house we were playing in with a impromptu rendition of the Ride of the Valkyries as a massive cloud of attack helicopters engulfed a previously impenetrable base like a plague of locusts. Completely unexpected and completely hilarious.

20. The miserable Git question, what upsets you?
Betrayal and misplaced loyalty. I'll elaborate over a beer or two in Essen and not before.

No comments:

Post a Comment